B.S., University of Idaho (1975)
M.S., Iowa State University (1978)
Ph.D., University of Idaho (1983)
My research interests center on wildlife-habitat relationships. I am particularly interested in analyzing the nature of the link between wild animals and their habits. In addition to determining how an animal uses its habitat, I feel it is important to use this information to develop tools that allow the assessment and evaluation of the potential impacts habitat change, from whatever source, may have on the associated animal populations.
- NR 1234 First Year Experience in Natural Resources and Environment (3 credits)
- NR 2984 First Semester Experience for Transfer Students (1 credit)
- FIW 4434 Wildlife Habitat Ecology and Management (3 credits)
- FIW 4474 Wildlife Habitat Evaluation (1 credit)
- FIW 5214 Design and Analysis of Field Studies (4 credits)
- FIW 6214 Advanced Habitat Analysis
- Stauffer, D. F., Editor. 2011. Ecology of Appalachian Ruffed Grouse. Hancock House, 176pp.
- Davis, M.L., M. J. Kelly and D. F. Stauffer. 2010. Carnivore co-existence and habitat use in the Mountain Pine Ridge Forest Reserve, Belize. Animal Conservation. 14:56-65.
- Stauffer, D.F. and S. L. McMullin. 2009. Desired competencies and perceived proficiencies of entry-level fisheries and wildlife professionals: a survey of employers and educators. Transactions of the North American Wildlife and Natural Resources Conference. 74.
- Tirpak, J. M., W. M. Giuliano, T.J. Allen, S. Bittner, J. W. Edwards, F. Friedhof, C. A. Harper, W. K. Igo, D.F. Stauffer, G. W. Norman. 2010. Ruffed grouse habitat preference in the central and southern Appalachians. Forest Ecology and Management. 260: 1525-1538.
- Tirpak, J. M., W. M. Giuliano, T.J. Allen, S. Bittner, J. W. Edwards, F. Friedhof, C. A. Harper, W. K. Igo, D.F. Stauffer, G. W. Norman. 2010. Evaluation of source and sink habitat for ruffed grouse in the Central and Southern Appalachians. Proc. Southeastern Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies. 64.
- Tredick, C. A., M. R. Vaughan, D. F. Stauffer, S. L. Simek, and T. Eason. 2007. Strategies for subsampling genetic data to estimate black bear population size. Ursus 18:178-187.
- Fearer, T. M., S. P. Prisley, D. F. Stauffer and P. D. Keyser. 2007. A method of integrating the breeding bird survey and forest inventory and analysis databases to evaluate forest bird habitat relationships at multiple spatial scales. Forest Ecology and Management 243:128-143.
- Whitaker, D. M., D. F. Stauffer, G. W. Norman, P. K. Devers*, J. Edwards, W. M. Giuliano, C. Harper, W. Igo, J. Sole, H. Spiker, and B. Tefft. 2007. Factors associated with variation in home range size of Appalachian ruffed grouse. Auk. 124:1407-1424.
- Devers, P. K., D. F. Stauffer, G. W. Norman, D. E. Steffen, D. W. Whitaker*, J. Sole, T. Allern, S. Bittner, J. W. Edwards, D. Fitgert, S. Friedhoff, W. Giuliano, C. Harper, W. Igo, R. Kirkpatrick, M. Seamster, H. Spiker, D. Swanson, and B. Tefft. 2007. Population ecology of and the effects of hunting on ruffed grouse in the southern and central Appalachians. Wildlife Monographs. 138:1-36.
- Newcomb, T.J., D. J. Orth, and D. F. Stauffer. 2007. Habitat Evaluation. Pages 843 – 886 in C.S. Guy and M. L. Brown, Editors. Analysis and interpretation of freshwater fisheries data.
- (540) 231-7349
- Office: 152 Cheatham Hall