Diggs Teaching Scholar & CNRE Senior Faculty Fellow for
Teaching & Learning
B.S., University of Detroit (1975)
M.S., Purdue University (1977)
Ph.D., Virginia Polytechnic Institute (1981)
My research concentration is in the area of fisheries management (improving management approaches to increase benefits available to users in sport and commercial fisheries). My research approach concentrates on improving methods to assess fisheries population status, and the development of novel methods to increase fisheries production and protect critical species and habitats. Current projects cover the range of habitats from small inland streams and ponds for recreational fishing to open-ocean fish populations that are exploited for commercial purposes. Many projects are conducted in the USA , while others are also underway to improve management in several international areas ( China , Cuba , Mexico , and Nicaragua ). We particularly concentrate on correcting overfishing, and its deleterious effects on both fish populations and human users.
- Fisheries management
- Advanced fisheries management
- Fisheries techniques
- Introduction to renewable natural resources
- Global seminar in sustainability
- Pedagogy for natural resources sciences
- Study abroad (2000-present: Belize; Dominican Republic; Nicaragua; Panama).
- Determining causes of recruitment failure in freshwater reservoirs (largemouth bass Microterus salmoides populations)
- Using bioimpedance analysis to monitor condition of endangered fishes in-vivo (e.g., Roanoke logperch Percina rex )
- Estimation of fisheries bycatch in the horseshoe crab trawl fishery along the Eastern U.S. coast
- Modeling impacts of fisheries minimum-size regulations on protogynous marine fish populations
- Assessing potential impacts of aquatic macrophyte control on a large lake ecosystem ( Lake Chapala , Jalisco , Mexico )
- Assessing and mitigating severe overfishing on Cao Hai Lake ( Guizhou Province , People's Republic of China )
- Assessing impacts of introduced tilapia on native fishes in Nicaragua
- Restoring freshwater sport fisheries for tourism development in Cuba
- Assessing the influence of the Three Gorges Dam on ecology and management of Yangtze River fisheries
- Wang, X., J. Xiang, J. Liu, M. Liu, l. Wu, B. R. Murphy, and S. Xie. 2013. Reduced growth and reproductive investment of Hemiculter leucisculus (Cyprinidae) in a reservoir with introduced icefish Neosalanx taihuensis (Salangidae). Environmental Biology of Fishes. In press.
- Stich, D. S., V. Dicenzo, E. Frimpong, Y. Jiao, and B. R. Murphy. 2013. Growth and population size of grass carp incrementally stocked for hydrilla control. North American Journal of Fisheries Management: In press.
- Lin, M., Q. Wang, Y. Xia, B. R. Murphy, Z. Li , J. Liu, T. Zhang, and S. Ye. 2012. Effects of two anesthetics on juvenile survival of Culter mongolicus during a simulated transport experiment. North American Journal of Aquaculture 74:541-546.
- Villamagna, A. M., B. R. Murphy, and S. M. Karpanty. 2012. Community-level waterbird responses to water hyacinth (Eichhornia crassipes). Invasive Plant Science and Management 5:353-362.
- Radhakrishnan, K. V., B. M. Kurup, B. R. Murphy & S. Xie. 2012. Status of alien fish species in the Western Ghats (India) as revealed from 2000-2004 surveys and literature analysis. Journal of Applied Ichthyology 28:778-784.
- Lin, M., Y. Xia, Z. Li , B. R. Murphy, J. Liu, T. Zhang, and S. Ye. 2012. Size-dependent effects of coded wire tags on redtail culter mortality and tag retention. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 32:968-973.
- Gong, W., L. Wu, S. Xie, J. Liu, B. R. Murphy, and S. Xie. 2012. Variation in early growth of Neosalanx taihuensis between two populations above and below the Three Gorges Dam, China. Journal of Freshwater Ecology 2012:1-8.
- Radhakrishnan, K.V., Y. Li, K.V. Jayalakshmy, M. Liu, B. R. Murphy, and S. Xie. 2012. Application of otolith shape analysis in identifying different ecotypes of Coilia ectenes in the Yangtze Basin, China. Fisheries Research 125-126:156-160.
- Zhang, L. G., H. Wu, M. Li, F. Liu, C. Fei, B. R. Murphy, and S. Xie. 2011. Preliminary evidence of delayed spawning and suppressed larval growth and condition of the major carps in the Yangtze River below the Three Gorges Dam. Environmental Biology of Fishes 93:439-447.
- Cheng, F., Q. Wu, M. Liu, K.V. Radhakrishnan, B. R. Murphy, and S Xie. 2011. Impacts of hatchery release on genetic structure of a rock carp (Procypris rabaudi Tchang) population in the upper Yangtze, China. Fisheries Science 77:765-771.