University Laurea degree, Polytechnic University of Marche, Ancona, Italy (2003)
Ph.D. , Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, Canada (2010)
I am interested in characterizing the history of human impact in the ocean, understand how this impact has altered marine ecosystems, and develop solutions for a sustainable use of marine resources. My research spans from macro-ecology to applied management and conservation (I have a particular interest in sharks and their relatives). It focuses on dynamics from single species to whole ecosystems, and revolves around three main scientific approaches: 1) inferring ecological processes from limited and disparate data; 2) filling the data gap characterizing many ecological systems by exploiting unconventional sources of information; and 3) using data science methods, big data, and new technology to address pressing ecological issues and develop ocean solutions.
Fisheries Management and Conservation starting in January 2020
- Queiroz, N., Humphries, N.E., Couto, A., Vedor, M., Da Costa, I., Sequeira, A.M.M., Mucientes, G., Santos, A.M., Ferretti, F. et al. 2019. Global spatial risk assessment of sharks under the footprint of fisheries. Nature. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41586-019-1444-4
- Jorgensen, S. J., Anderson, S., Ferretti, F., Tietz, J., Chapple, T., Kanive, P., Bradley, R., Moxley, J. and Block, B. A. 2019. Killer whales redistribute white shark foraging pressure on elephant seals. Nature Scientific Reports, 9, 6153.
- White, T., Ferretti, F., Kroodsma, D., Hazen, E., Carlisle, A., Scales, K., Bogard, S. and Block, B. 2019. Predicted hotspots of overlap between highly migratory fishesand industrial fishing fleets in the Northeast Pacific. Science Advances, 5 (3), eaau3761.
- Kroodsma, D., Mayorga, J., Hochberg, T., Miller, N.A., Boerder, K., Ferretti, F., Wilson, A., Bergman, B., White, T.D., Block, B.A., Woods, P., Sullivan, B., Costello, C., and Worm, B. 2018. Response to Comment on “Tracking the global footprint of fisheries”. Science, 361 (6404), eaat7789.
- Elahi, R., Ferretti, F., Bastari, A.*, Cerrano, C., Colloca, F., Kowalik, J., Ruckelshaus, M., Struck, A. and Micheli, F. 2018. Leveraging vessel traffic data and a temporary fishing closure to inform marine management. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment. https://doi.org/10.1002/fee.1936
- Ferretti F, Curnick D., Liu, K., Romanov E and Block B.A. 2018. Shark baselines and the conservation role of remote coral reef ecosystems. Science Advances, 4: eaaq0333. https://doi.org/10.1126/sciadv.aaq0333
- Kroodsma, D., Mayorga, J., Hochberg, T., Miller, N.A., Boerder, K., Ferretti, F., Wilson, A., Bergman, B., White, T.D., Block, B.A., Woods, P., Sullivan, B., Costello, C., and Worm, B. 2018. Tracking the Global Footrpint of Fisheries. Science, 359 (6378), 904-908. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.aao5646
- Novaglio, C.*, Ferretti, F., Smith, T. and Frusher, S. 2016. Species-area relationships as indicators of human impact on fish communities. Diversity and Distribution. DOI: 10.1111/ddi.12482
- Ferretti, F., Morey, G., Seret, B., Sprem, J.S. & Micheli, F. 2016. Falling through the cracks: the fading history of a large iconic predator. Fish and Fisheries, 7(3), 875–889. DOI: 10.1111/faf.12108
- Ferretti F., Jorgensen, S., Chapple, T., De Leo, G. and Micheli, F. Reconciling predator conservation with public safety. 2015. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, 13(8), 412–417. DOI: 10.1890/150109
- Britten, G. L.*, Dowd, M., Minto, C., Ferretti, F., Boero, F. & Lotze, H. K. 2014. Predator decline leads to decreased stability in a coastal fish community. Ecology Letters, 17 (12): 1518-1525.
- Ferretti, F., C. G. Osio, C. Jenkins, A. A. Rosenberg, & H. K. Lotze. 2013. Long-term ecological change in a meso-predator community in response to prolonged human disturbance. Nature Scientific Reports, 3(1057): doi:10.1038/srep01057.
- McClenachan, L., Ferretti, F., & Baum, J. 2012. From archives to conservation: why historical data are needed to set baselines for marine animals and ecosystems. Conservation Letters, 5(5): 349-359.
- Ferretti, F., B. Worm, G. Britten*, M. Heithaus and H. Lotze. 2010. Patterns of shark decline and ecosystem consequences in the ocean. Ecology Letters, 13: 1055-1071.
- Ferretti, F., R.A. Myers, F. Serena and H.K. Lotze. 2008. Loss of large predatory sharks from the Mediterranean Sea. Conservation Biology, 22(4): 952-964.